Grooming is an important part of pet care. Depending on the breed, age, and health of your pet, grooming may even need to be a part of you and your pet’s daily routine. Many breeds require less grooming than this, but regular grooming always helps to keep your pet healthy and comfortable. Some breeds don’t shed their hair effectively (eg. Poodles) and require grooming by a professional every 6-8 weeks. Long haired cats can particularly benefit from regular grooming as it helps prevent the formation of knots on the skin and hairballs in the stomach.
Grooming at the Lindisfarne Veterinary Clinic
Alas, the Lindisfarne Veterinary Clinic does not offer a routine grooming service anymore but we can provide advice on shampoos and treatment to keep your pet’s coat in great condition. We can also assist if your pet needs sedation or anaesthetic for grooming and can do some routine cat grooming.
Grooming at Home
We encourage you to also engage in regular grooming with your pet at home. There are numerous benefits of regular grooming, for example:
- Decreased chance of skin problems
- Optimal skin cleanliness and comfort for you and your pet
- Improved monitoring of health issues like cuts, heat, swelling, lameness, or changes in temperament.
- Enhanced behavioural routines with obedient submission during grooming periods
- Closer bonding with your pet through regular contact